News

The Splendid Nature Photos That Won NANPA’s 2024 Showcase

Exciting news! The North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA) has just unveiled the outstanding winners of the 2024 edition of their prestigious photo contest, the NANPA Showcase. This year’s competition has brought forth a breathtaking collection of 24 winning images, carefully selected from a pool of exceptional entries spanning six distinct categories. Prepare to be captivated by the awe-inspiring beauty captured in these remarkable nature photographs, which undoubtedly represent the pinnacle of nature photography for 2024.

Birds

Best in Category

© Tim W. Oliver / Gilbert, AZ / Anna’s hummingbird attempting to quench thirst on a hot summer afternoon in Arizona.

First Runner-Up

© William Halladay / Provincia de Alajuela, Costa Rica / This Scarlet Macaw was flying by on its way to a perch when it looked over to see me pointing my camera at it. Luckily I was shooting at the precise moment it saw me.

Judges’ Choice

© Owen Deutsch / Maui, Hawaii / I’iwi perching upside down.
© John Ehrenfeld / San Francisco Bay, CA / Sky Surfing’.

Mammals

Best in Category

© Kevin Dooley / Botswana / Protection of the Herd.

First Runner-Up

© Jennifer Smith / Katmai National Park / Looking for the off Switch!

Judges’ Choice

© Carol Grenier / Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming / Members of the Wapiti Lake pack had frequent interactions, re-establishing bonds and confirming the pack hierarchy.

Scapes

Best in Category

© Chris Bartell / Lavender Field in Hood River Oregon / Lavender Dreamscape / Milky Way in the lavender field during the Summer.

First Runner-Up

© Carl Johnson / Denali National Park & Preserve, Alaska / A flock of Sandhill cranes head south as a thick lenticular cloud hovers over the summit of Denali. This is one of my favorite aspects of visiting the park in the autumn. To be out hiking on the tundra and hear the calls of Sandhill cranes as they pass overhead on their way south is peaceful, elating and part of how I can really feel autumn in my bones.

Judges’ Choice

© Joyce Harman / Near Hanksville, Utah / Flying my drone over this landscape was one of the most amazing things i have done photographically. The soft early morning light added texture to the landscape. I played around with compostion until I had a nice background.

Altered Reality

Best in Category

© Stephanie Becker / Moraga, CA USA / For a year and a half I took photos of the moon during the pandemic and created this collage. Amidst a time of isolation and uncertainty, the moon became a comforting companion, reminding humanity that even in the darkest of nights, there exists a celestial light to guide us towards brighter days.

First Runner-Up

© Joyce Harman / Northern VIrginia / After capturing the flow of this dying flower, I wanted to add an artisitic look and enhance the flow of the petals. I used one of my favorite apps with several layers to bring out the textures without losing the feel of the flower.

Judges’ Choice

© Marty Purdy / Christmas, Florida / Checking out the Nest’. A Roseate Spoonbill busy with nest building activities, descends to check out his progress.

Conservation

Best in Category

© Heather Valey / Centennial, Colorado / In The Middle of it All.

First Runner-Up

© Ryan Wagner / Hebron, Ohio / Dogpile / A pile of a dozen dead coyotes at a hunting contest in northcentral Ohio. Hunting teams spend three days shooting as many coyotes as they can. Over 150 coyotes are harvested for this competition, one of dozens like it throughout the state. Following awards for heaviest coyote and most kills, carcasses are haphazardly discarded. No part of the coyotes is used. This image captures the detached and callous nature with which we approach other living beings.

Judges’ Choice

© Dan Mele / U.S. Virgin Islands / Corals Last Hope – Just before sunset, the Grooved Brain Coral spawns in a coral restoration laboratory. The tiny pink bundles of sperm and egg float to the surface where scientists collect them. Through assisted fertilization with other conspecifics, this is the best chance for many corals to create the Grooved Brain Corals of tomorrow.

Macro, Micro, & All Other Wildlife

Best in Category

© Thomas Myers / Ecuador / Ant tending membracids.

First Runner-Up

© Christopher Higgs / Phil Foster Park, Riviera Beach FL / Next Generation.

Judges’ Choice

© Kathy Raffel / Sarapiqui, Costa Rica / Within a few feet of the trail, we spotted a basilisk lizard which had just caught a coffee snake. We watched in amazement as the snake struggled to get free. Over about five minutes, the lizard gradually began swallowing the snake. The snake twisted and pulled right up until the last moments when it disappeared down the lizard’s throat.

In addition to the stunning winning images, the esteemed judges of the NANPA Showcase have curated a selection of Top 100 and Top 250 photographs from each category. These remarkable photos, chosen for their exceptional quality and artistic merit, can be viewed on the NANPA 2024 Showcase website.

Image credits: All images courtesy of the North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA). Individual photographers are credited in the photo captions.

Related Posts

15 COMMENTS

1. Every day I look forward to seeing these amazing pictures captured by great photographers. Get to see amazing creatures also beautiful places and things. Most of all l’m forever in awe of our loving Creator

• Yes Yvonne Simmons-Thiboou, our Creator made all this to be enjoyed by mankind to be appreciate . I really like hearing the birds chirping I the morning ..

• These pictures are outstanding! They capture an imagination!
      As I am an avid animal lover, the picture of the foxes makes me feel ill!

2. Every photograph was beautiful.. except the one if the DEAD COYOTES. Why was the death of wildlife emulated as an award winning photograph?
    Very disheartening to me, as I have always enjoyed the beautiful photography and winners of those capturing the beauty of nature’s wonders.
    I’m befuddled by this picture of death in your portrayal of “Conservation”. Just saddens me. Sue Greenberg.

• I 100% agree, it was disheartening and disgusting seeing how people actually do this and are proud. This pic shouldn’t have been posted on here .

• I was smiling enjoying all the pictures so beautiful animals the scenery. And then the pile of dead carcasses I didn’t need to see that it ruined the whole experience I don’t know why he was even allowed I’ll give it to you 100%

• I applaud you for posting the coyote pictures. As much as we don’t want to see them, it’s important to know what is really going on around us. Kind of like cuddling your little dog or cat, but pretending that the stake you’re eating doesn’t matter. Yeah, it’s like that.

3. I would like to know if possible to get information on each photographer and ask permission to use photo for resale and pay royalty’s

4. What an unspeakable tragedy the coyote kill is. Bad enough that it happens, but surely the meat could be harvested for kennels, zoos, wildlife reserves. Something to give that some value.
    The future questions from grandchildren will be, “What was a coyote?”

• I was thinking along these same lines. Surely there is SOME way to utilize the meat or something. Absolutely heartbreaking.

5. If I ever thought it might be fun to visit Ohio, that pile of dead coyotes cancelled the idea forever. The world is already too full of barbarians without having to seek them out.

6. The coyote photograph is valid. This is what wildlife faces. I would be interested in a stomach contents study on these “harvested” coyotes to see if they really do interfere with farmers crop animals.

Wanting to only see the beautiful wildlife photographs is nice, but wildlife is under constant threat, and the coyote photograph brings that home to all of us who love the natural world. It hurts, but it should spur us on to keep working! Keep fighting for those who cannot speak for themselves!

• It’s important to see the good and the bad. Conservation efforts here in the US for all animals is important. I’ve seen coyotes hunt and eat rodents that eat crops. We all can help educate based on verified data.

7. I agree, why a horrible photo of dead coyotes won an award? It’s such a horrifying waste. It seems the older I get the more I treasure nature including wildlife.

LEAVE A RESPONSE

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Ultimate Guide for photography composition 25
My name is Oliver, and I am an amateur street and architecture photographer who loves to capture the essence of travel through my lens. I use iPhone 14 and Sony 6400 camera paired with the versatile Tamron 18mm-300mm f/3.5-f/6.3 lens to bring my vision to life.